Vandevert Ranch is located near Sunriver Resort in Deschutes County, Central Oregon, about fifteen miles south of the city of Bend. From US Highway 97, take Vandevert Road approximately one mile west, crossing South Century Boulevard, to the ranch gate. Vandevert Ranch was homesteaded in 1892 by William Plutarch Vandevert, a colorful westerner who brought cattle to the ranch and fathered eight children with his schoolteacher wife, Sadie. The log homestead and the one-room schoolhouse on Vandevert Ranch are both among the thirty-three sites listed as Historic Resources in Deschutes County. In fact, Vandevert Ranch is older than Deschutes County itself and pre-dates the founding of the city of Bend.